Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing


Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Frugalista, circa 2009

This recession is really bringing me down. I'm ready to be circa 2005 big baller status again.

I've been warned I shouldn't hold my breath.

You know those people who are happy for others when they are doing good? In this case I'm not one of them, so if you still are big baller status, then you suck. Seriously, you do. My parents included.

My problem is that it doesn't seem to matter what the numbers on my paycheck say, I still spend money. Granted, not AS MUCH as my big baller days, but still, enough. My BFF and I joke how we thought we were supposed to make more money as we got older, not less now that we are in the later part of our twenties. Example; my 22nd birthday, my best friend got me a necklace and earings from Tiffanys, AND rented a stretch hummer limo to take us out for my birthday. My last birthday, she bought me a shot.
Not that I am ungrateful, because I would rather have her as my best friend than have the entire content of the Tiffanys catalog. She's the bomb diggity.
My point is, that for a plethora of reasons, the economy, career changes, going to school, buying a house, getting married, pushing kids out of your vagina, blah blah blah, some of my friends and I are broke.

BUT WAIT!!! There is a light at the end of this dark and dreary tunnel. There is a way to still have adorable shoes and name brands galore. There is a God and his name is ROSS. As in "I got it at Ross!"

Yes, Ross, TJ Max, and Marshall's are my new meccas. I get adorable shoes for $15, and the other day I got a pair of Betsey Johnson earings. They were $24, marked down from the original price of $65. I know it's not as aesthetically pleasing as Nordstroms, but tough times call for tough measures.

I came home the other night and with much enthusiasm showed my roomates my latest shoe purchase from Ross. Mr. Roomie tried to bring me down by saying, "There's a reason those shoes are at Ross" with disgust in his voice. I then proceeded to break down the whole over-stock concept for him, which he had never even contemplated. Lis Sis, who works at a retail store chiped in that her store sends stuff out if they don't sell it in the allotted time frame. Mr. Roomie then joins me in the excitment but has one last question, "So what do you say when someone asks where you get your shoes, can people tell you got it at Ross?"

No Mr. Roomie, they cannot, so for those of you out there that aren't ready to stand up and shout, "I'M A FRUGALISTA AND PROUD OF IT!!!" that's okay, you'll find no judgement from me...

Just lie and say you got them at Macy's. But I'll know the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment