Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing


Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Amazaholics

amaze vt.

amazed, amazing

1. to fill with great surprise or sudden wonder; astonish

2. to bewilder


Lately I've been hearing the word "amazing" being used loosly to describe a plethora of things.

Over and over I hear, "these eggs are amazing!"

"you're hair looks amazing!" etc. I started to question when everything so mundane became so suddenly, well, amazing.

Then I happened to watch the Rock of Love Charm School finale, and these two ridiculously trashy girls must have said amazing at least 10 times. Girl 1 described Girl 2's speech as "amazing." What? I'm sorry, I could barely stand to listen to Girl 2 ramble on as she tried to stutter out what she classified as an exceptable speech. (the girl with the best speech would win $100,000)

After watching that, and hearing it from people around me, I've decided that people over-using this word might not have the correct definition of amazing. Therefore, I have taken it upon myself to help those with this problem. I understand it might be difficult at first to purge yourself of misusing this word, but let's look at the silver lining, there are so many other descriptive words to use out there. You can say, "These eggs are delicious, scrumtious, appetizing, heavenly, tasty, or titillating." Or you can say, "You hair looks beautiful, dazzling, exqusite, foxy, classy, stunning, pretty, elegant, or supurb.


Amazing should be saved for something like, say I suddenly spit out fire, or my dog started talking in hebrew instead of barking, or Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie became BFF. These type of things would be defined as amazing.


I urge all amazaholics to take baby steps in helping themsleves become less dependant on this word. Thank you. Good night, and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment